Gift tags add a personal touch to presents and can make even the simplest gift look special. Creating handmade gift tags is a fun and easy way to customize your gift-giving, while also being eco-friendly.
I love keeping my old maps from vacations but of course there are very pretty map pages you can find from many different sources.
Today I want to share a step-by-step tutorial on how to create DIY handmade gift tags made with old maps that are not only chic and stylish but also environmentally conscious.
Gorgeous Handmade Gift Tags to DIY
Photo by Bohemia Design .
Don’t throw your old maps away after a vacation. instead flatten them nicely and clue them onto thin card stock. They’ll make great personalised gift tags. Use the tutorial here to get it right.
- Old maps or atlas pages
- Thin cardstock
- Hole punch
- Twine or ribbon
- Optional: Stamps or ink pads, stickers, decorative edge scissors
Choose Your Design and Size
- Decide on the shape and size of your gift tags.
- You can use a template or trace around a tag you already have.
- Cut out your desired shape from the map or atlas page.
- I find that using a paper quilloutine works best for this kind of projects.
Decorate Your Gift Tags
This is optional as the maps are already interesting enough, and can bring up fun family memories. But if your creativity spurs you on,….
- Use stamps or ink pads to add a decorative touch to your gift tags. You can use a holiday-themed stamp or a simple design like a heart or star.
- If you have decorative edge scissors, use them to add a unique border to your gift tags.
- Add a personal message or the recipient’s name with a pen or marker.
- Add stickers or other embellishments to further personalize your gift tags.
Punch a Hole and Add Twine
- Use a hole punch to create a hole at the top of your gift tag.
- Cut a piece of twine or ribbon to your desired length and thread it through the hole.
- Tie the twine or ribbon in a knot or bow.
Tips and Ideas
- Use old road maps to create a unique and personalized gift tag for someone who loves to travel.
- Cut out maps that feature the recipient’s hometown or favorite city to add a sentimental touch.
- Use colored twine or ribbon to add a pop of color to your gift tags.
- Make a set of gift tags to keep on hand for future occasions.
- Experiment with different shapes and sizes for your gift tags to add variety.
Over to You
Creating your own DIY handmade gift tags made with old maps is a fun and eco-friendly way to add a personal touch to your gift-giving. By following these easy steps and using a few simple supplies, you can create chic and stylish gift tags that are sure to impress. So the next time you’re wrapping a gift, consider making your own gift tags and give your gift that extra special touch.
SHARE IT Footnote — this used to be a linky party page. I’m leaving this para for nostalgic sake.
When you link up, this means that you love for us to Pin, G+ and/or otherwise promote your wonderful photos & ideas across social media platforms and on this blog, and you are giving us permission to use your photos and ideas for this purpose. Typically, themed-features will/can be promoted on an ongoing basis. Those that are featured in next week party in the party post are typically promoted during that party week. Exceptions apply.