:: Enjoy a lovely evening dinner with this fast, easy & delicious summer fruit dessert. Learn how to make this rustic rhubarb & strawberry tarts recipe ::
I could have easily have called this ‘how to create a fabulous dessert when you have ‘nothing’ in the house. I just LOVE how these tarts came out. Nope. Not even a Pinterest idea has been used. There literally was nothing between me, and the fridge. I just stood there wondering how in the world I was going to dream up a quick and fantastic dessert that would make me shine like a star and build my reputation as a chef, here at the home front.
This dessert totally did it. Let me share the recipe with you for my darling, delicious strawberry rhubarb tarts.
Ingredients for Rhubarb Strawberry Tarts
- 1 cup organic flour, pinch of salt, water, spoonful of butter: to make your own pie dough. Or, 1 sheet of pie pastry.
- 20 small organic strawberries, washed, cut in half. (note: organic strawberries tend to be more flavorful than ordinary strawberries).
- 1/4 – 1/3 of a small stalk of rhubarb (i.e. enough to fill the bottom of each tart with tiny rhubarb cubes + a thin slice for the top for decoration)
- 1 teaspoon of sugar for each tartlet
- icing sugar sprinkles.
Rhubarb Strawberry Tart Making Instructions
- Make (or thaw) the dough.
- Press the top rim of an empty clean marmalade jar into the dough to create 5 circles. These will be your cup bottoms.
- Take the left over of the dough and press it into a ball. Then stretch it and roll it into a long strip.
- Cut the dough into 5 pieces. Fold it length wise.
- Then use your rolling pin to create 5 strips that match the circumference of the circles.
- Add the rims onto the circles and attach the dough with your fingers.
- Fill each cup with a layer of finely cubed rhubarb, topped with a layer of halved strawberries.
- Place the cups into a muffin tin.
- Sprinkle generously with sugar (otherwise the rhubarb will make your tarts tart!)
- Bake in the oven till the dough is golden brown. That is probably 15-20 minutes at about 350 degrees F | 180 degrees C.
- Place the tray on a cooling rack and sprinkle the strawberry tarts with a bit of extra sifted icing sugar for decoration and extra sweetness. Serve warm or cold.
Optional: serve with custard cream and/or whip cream. Garnish with a sprig of wild mint.
Strawberry Tarts Recipe
And there you have it. Your own, rustic strawberry tarts that will impress guests and husbands alike. Go for healthy ingredients, such as organic or at least whole wheat flour to complement your organic strawberries, and you’ll be happy too.