Quilting may sound kind of tame, however, with Alisa Burke, quilting changes tack and sails the winds of adventure! Look what she did and enjoy her wild quilted pillow pattern to make your own unique decorative pillow that truly, one of a kind.
Quilted pillow pattern – Step-by-step Instructions
Fabric Painting, Sewing & Quilting Instructions
1. Hand stamp & hand print your own fabric. That is: make your own stamps with foam pieces glued onto a base, get some textile paint, dip in the stamps and go create a wicked pattern. Start neat, and go wilder progressively. Let the paint dry before you move to step 2. (see quilted decorative pillow illustration)
2. Cut 9-12 fabric of approximately similar sizes that when they would be stitched together would be the size of a pillow front.
3. Sew them together, as one would with separate quilting pieces. Neatness not required. Just make sure that the various patterns look good together next to one another.
4. Now, race your sewing machine over from left to right, making 24-40 approximately evenly spaced lines across the pillow front. (see illustration)
5. When done, race the sewing machine over the pillow front from top to bottom, about 40 times.
6. Now done with the quilting, add a pillow back, fill the pillow, and close it, with zipper or button or with neat stitches, doesn’t matter.
Ref: Alison Burke’s blog
In case the name Alisa Burke sound vaguely familiar, let me share:
Alisa just has a brand new book out about a month ago, Sew Wild, which retails for $27 (paperback which includes a DVD).
If you want 34% off, click here for 144 pages of her great inspiration.
Tip: this book is particularly good if you are the type who usually needs to have a pattern and study it first. This book will take you OUT of that comfort zone and gets you to be experiment more.
Tip 2: if you are a pillow lover, this book has other unique pillow patterns & ideas….
More Quilting, Pillow Sewing Tutorials, Projects, Articles
* 2012 Calendars for Quilters and other creative souls
* Amy Butler Yo-yo Quilt Bedspread ~ free pattern
* Funky Designer Tote Bag ~ free pattern
* Quilted Backpack ~ free pattern
* Anthropologie bedding:- ruffled/smocked quilts ~ free patterns
* Follow-the-lines baby quilt ~ free pattern
* How to make an Embellished Recycled Sweater Blanket
* Quilted pet bed / oversized pillow ~ free pattern
* Crochet Flower Pillow & Bean Bag ~ free patterns
* French Bird & Bunny Pillow Designs
* Sophisticated zafu meditation pillows in Paris
* Crochet Pillow – free pattern
* Pillow with Bird with Parasol Appliqué ~ free pattern
First published on December 9, 2011.