Start Family Memories At The Kitchen Table or the Beach and teach your kids how to honor their best friends by making these easy friendship bracelets for beginners.
It is interesting how one remembers some childhood memories more vividly than others. One of my happy-time childhood memories involved making things together with my mom. Ranging from Barbie cloths to making friendship bracelets. Friendship bracelets is something we liked to do when we had my nieces over. Or, if would make them at other times of the year other than summer, I could bring a friend home and we would all make one. It was really fun.
Because my mom loved to embroider, she had the most beautiful embroidery floss (yarn) in all colors. Just right for friendship bracelets.
The Story Continues…:
Later, when we grew up to be teenager, making friendship bracelets became the thing to do at the beach for me and these very same girlfriends! Indeed, best friends forever!
And Continues …:
While friendship bracelets are nostalgic for me, they are also quite the rage this year.
How to Make Friendship Bracelets
Let me start with a tip: If you are going to do this for your kids to teach them how to make bracelets (and value and ongoing importance of friendships over time), then I recommend you have a couple of bracelets made ahead of time to show them as examples. While friendship bracelets are a craft that kids of all ages can do, you may wish to help them along a bit by doing a few inches for them.
There are many different kind of friendship bracelets. Last year I showed you how to make a How to Make a Luu Chan Wrap– friendship bracelet. That was more involved than this one I am showing you here.
The year before that I showed you another, easier, paper-based friendship bracelets, that’s perfect for toddlers, preschool and younger elementary school kids to make.
The one I’m showing you today, is super easy also. It’s very simple. It looks like colorful rope. I love adding charms to everything, but for simplicity sake, I left those out of the picture. Like it?!
Materials for Making Friendship Bracelets
Instructions for Making Friendship Bracelets
- Cut a 3″ diameter circle out of a cereal box. Poke a small hole in the center and cut 8 incisions at equal distance from each other.
- Measure 7 strands of embroidery floss (yarn, thread) of approximately 24″ long. (approx 70 cm), or about 14″ for a smaller child.
- Line up the ends and tie a knot in them. Then pull all strings through the hole in the center of your homemade bracelet making widget.
- Put each string in a slit along the outside of the circular disk, as shown. One slit will stay empty.
- Now, to make your bracelet, take the thread from #3 and place it in the empty slit.
- Repeat this till your bracelet will have the desired length.
- Take it off your widget, and tie a knot on the other end and you’re done.
Super cute and easy. Smaller kids will love this. Kinda like finger knitting …
X friendship bracelets
X jewelry design tutorial
X kids craft
X video tutorial bracelets