Joint me in this Free Domino Quilt Block Pattern and Workshop. When done, we’ll have 2/3 of our 9-block Fall quilt sampler completed!
Introduction to Today’s Quilt Making Workshop
Have you been following along in our free online quilting course? How’s it going for you? Today’s quilt block design is called a Domino. Lovely and colorful, it’s fairly easy and quick to sew. Here how my Fall quilt sampler is coming together. A beautiful quilt pattern indeed!! Does your Fall quilt sampler start to look anything like this?
The bottom –right block is the quilt pattern we are going to work on today.
Halloween Table Runner w Janeen’s Paper Piecing Patterns
Before we get into learning how to make that quilt pattern, I want to highlight some other quilting patterns that might interest you. Janeen van Niekerk, your beloved quilting instructor here at the Fine Craft Guild, has developed an array of darling paper piecing quilt block designs for the Fall season. They are nodding to celebrating both Halloween and Thanksgiving. Paper piecing is a freedom version of the traditional quilting with its classic perfect blocks and lines. Hop on over to have a look. I have combined 6 of her paper piecing designs into a lovely table runner quilt pattern.
As well, besides all the other free quilting workshops for beginners with classic patterns, you can find more info about Janeen’s paper piecing designs in general after this free tutorial.
Free Domino Quilt Block Pattern and Workshop
Tips for Beginners
Sampler Quilt Week 6
Don’t ask me where blocks get their names. I really don’t know. This one probably has that name because of the diagonally mirrored effect. When I was looking at it, it reminded me more of a garden pathway because if you continued and made four connecting blocks, the corners would have a flower and the white blocks look like the stones laid out in a garden.
The Plan (Photo B)
This block is really easy to understand and put together. There is only an AB & C blocks. The whole block is divided into 4 quarters and each opposite corner is a mirrored image.
Quilting Fabric Needed for a Domino Quilt Block Pattern
We need 5 colors for this block.
How to Cut your Quilt Fabric
For the A Blocks:
Color A – Orange (Corners) – 2 squares measuring 2 1/8” (5.4 cm)
Color B – Darker Orange or Red – 4 squares measuring 2 1/8”
Color C – Yellow – 6 squares measuring 2 1/8”
Color D – White – 2 squares measuring 2 1/8”
Color E – Brown – 2 squares measuring 2 1/8”
For the B Blocks:
All the B’s are in Color E – Brown – 6 rectangles measuring 3 7/8” x 2 1/8”
For the C Blocks:
Both are in Color D – White – 2 squares measuring 3 7/8” x 3 7/8”
Sewing Instructions for the Domino Quilt Block Pattern
Lay out your squares according to the plan.
Make each quarter of the bigger block first. (Photo 2 & 3)
Work in rows and press the seams to the darker side and in opposite directions for easy joining. (Photo 4)
Once you have 4 quarters, sew the two top quarters together and then join the top and bottom pieces. (Photo 5)
We have now completed 2 rows. (Photo 6)
Hope you enjoyed this free quilting workshop.
Till next week!
Janeen van Niekerk
Janeen van Niekerk, Quilting Instructor
Quilt Art Design (QuiltArtDesigns.blogspot.com)
About Quilting Instructor Janeen van Niekerk
…. and her unique quilting and paper piecing patterns
Quilt artist Janeen van Niekerk is an avid quilter. In particular, she’s an accomplished paper piecing designer. She does it all with a passion. Our latest news of quilt making instructor Janeen van Niekerk is that she has just launched a brand new paper piecing magazine.
Janeen’s prolific range of hand-made quilts (she takes commissions for personalized, stylish portrait quilts), as well as her unique quilt patterns (think quilts featuring safari animals and trees, or kids toys) are inspired by her environs; she lives in sunny Pretoria in South Africa, with her husband and kids.
How to Sew a Quilt – Quilting Workshops for Beginners
Janeen van Niekerk (spelled by some as Janine van Niekerk)
Want to begin sewing quilts with me? Join our free online quilting workshops, which you can take at your leisure, any time you want. Work at your own pace.
Free Quilting Patterns & Tutorials & Classes in this quilting course:
- Class #1: Fussy cutting ~ How to Make a Quilt: Free Quilting Beginners Class.
- Class #2: Quilting Tools – What you’ll need as a beginner.
- Class #3 : How to Choose & Work with Quilting Fabric.
- Class #4: How to Read & Work with a Quilt Pattern.
- Class #5: Creating a Finished Quilt Block .
- Class #6: How to Make Quilt Rows – from finished blocks.
- Class #7: How to add Borders to your quilt.
- Class #8 : How to finish a quilt: add backing, batting and how to bind a quilt.
- Class #9 : How to Make Quilt Blocks more Exciting.
- Class #10 : How to Make a Modern Lap Quilt.
- Class #11 : How to Make a Modern Lap Quilt, the next steps.
- Class #12: How to finish a Quilt :: Modern Lap Quilt.
- Class #13/14: Quilting Glossary with Quilt Sewing Terms for Beginners
- Class #15: Half Square Triangles Quilting Techniques – part 1
- Class #16: Half Square Triangles Quilting Techniques – part 2
- Class #17: Half Square Triangles Quilt Wall Art Project – part 3
- Class #18: Free Sampler Quilt Workshop – intro
- Class #19: First Bock in the Sampler: Striped Frame Quilt Block – block #1
- Class #20: How to Make a Log Cabin Quilt Block – block #2
- Class #21: Greek Square Quilt Block Pattern & Workshop – Free – #3
- Class #22: Free Quilt Workshop + Hour Glass Block – Free Pattern #4
- Class #23: Whirlpool Block Pattern – block #5 in sampler
- Class #24: Domino Block Pattern – block #6 in sampler
Or, … continue your journey with Quilting patterns, tutorials and ideas featured here at FineCraftGuild.com (beyond Janeen’s quilting course).