Today I am featuring a felt scarf pattern, or better said, a felt-making craft video series to make beautiful felt scarves.
This free felt scarf pattern + tutorial explains each step of the way from raw wool to smashing scarf. The felting project is presented by felting veteran Laura Artates.
You can tell that the featured artist has been at it (felting, that is) since age 5. I have listened to her instructions for wet felting several times, and each time picked up little details that made the project better and easier.
1. How to Make a Felt Scarf – Materials
In this first felting video you will learn what materials you’ll need for your felted scarf project.
2. How to Make a Felt Scarf : How Wet Felting Works
Traditional wet felting requires wool fibers and results in quality felt. Learn more about wet felting in this free felting video.
3. How to Make a Felt Scarf – The First Felt Layer
To make a felt scarf you must first lay the first layer of wool. Learn how to lay the first layer of wool to make a felt scarf in this free felting video.
4. How to Make a Felt Scarf : Laying the Second Layer of Wool for a Felt Scarf
The second step in making a felt scarf is laying second layer of wool. Learn how to lay the second layer of wool to make a felt scarf in this free video on felting.
5. How to Make a Felt Scarf : Decorating a Felt Scarf
Decorating a felt scarf is done on the last layer of wool fibers. Learn how to add designs to felt scarves in this free felting video.
6. How to Make a Felt Scarf : Flipping a Felt Scarf
Wool must be layered to make a felt scarf. Learn how to flip the layers of a wool to decorate both sides of the scarf in this free felting video.
7. How to Make a Felt Scarf : Adding Soapy Water for Wet Felting
Soap and water makes wool fibers bind together. Learn how to add soap to wool layers to make a felt scarf in this free craft video.
8. How to Make a Felt Scarf : Re-Rolling Wool Fibers for Wet Felting
Making a felt scarf by wet felting wool requires re-rolling the wool fibers. Learn how to re-roll wool fibers to make a felt scarf in this free craft video.
9. How to Make a Felt Scarf : Pressure Rolling Wool for Wet Felting
To make a felt scarf by wet felting the wool layers must be rolled with pressure. Learn how to pressure roll wool to make a felt scarf in this free video.
10. How to Make a Felt Scarf : Pinch Testing Felt
To make a felt scarf the wool pinch tested to make sure the wool has bind together. Learn how to pinch test felt after rolling the wool layers in this free video.
11. How to Make a Felt Scarf : Throwing a Felt Scarf
Throwing a felt scarf after rolling the wool fibers initiates the fulling stage of wet felting. Learn how to throw a felt scarf in this free video.
12. Fulling a Felt Scarf
Fulling a felt scarf involves rubbing the scarf on a bumpy surface. Learn how to full a felt scarf by rubbing it on a felt surface in this free craft video – step 4.
13. How to Make a Felt Scarf : How to Rinse a Felt Scarf
Wet felting requires wetting the wool with soapy water. Later the felt must be rinsed and neutralized. Learn how to rinse and neutralize a felt scarf in this free video.
14. How to Make a Felt Scarf : How to Iron a Felt Scarf
Learn how to iron a felt scarf in this free video. The wool in a felt scarf can be ironed carefully to smooth out the scarf.
MANY thanks to felting artist and instructor, Laura Artates, for the free craft tutorial videos.
Laura’s contemporary textile art and upcoming felting classes can be found at FoundationsInFelt.com