Recently invited to a stork party of a special friend, I was keen to take a special gift for her soon-to-be-born baby boy. In search for a ‘canvas’ upon which to create a personal and unique fabric painting, I found a white onsie that was perfect for the job.
I created an African lion foot print design with the words ‘Born to
Be Wild’ around it, but my fabric paint technique works for any other design also :-)
Craft Supplies & Materials
- White baby onesie (or baby t-shirt); baby cloths come in 0-3 month, 3-6 months, 6-9 mths, 1 yr, 18 mths, 2, and up.
- Water-erasable pen: to draw the design onto your onsie
- Fabric paint in two colors: Brown (or black) and Tangerine Tango / Orange / Red
- Fine paint brush
- Plastic bag + few sheets of white paper
- Iron + ironing board.
Quick 1,2,3 How-to Instructions
- Rinse onsie in cold water, dry and iron out wrinkles.
- With the water-erasable pen, use the template as a guide to draw your design onto the onsie.
- Insert the plastic bag topped with the sheets of paper in your onsie to ensure the paint won’t leak to the back of the t-shirt
- Using the brown fabric paint (undiluted), first paint the lion’s footprint and let it dry.
- With the orange/red paint, write your caption phrase, starting at top left, working your way down. Be careful not to smudge. Let it dry.
- Optional step: add a decorative border around your design.
- Lightly iron onsie on reverse side.