This shrug knitting pattern is one of many free shrug knitting patterns featured here at the Fine Craft Guild. It is an EAASSSSYYYY free knitting pattern. You would not think it’s easy to knit when looking at this lovely womens top, because this cardigan has a very sophisticated look. However, the pattern drawing below shows how easy it is & that you can knit this cardigan within a day.
If you want to make this shrug in the featured (recommended) Lionbrand Fishermen wool yarn, this cozy and oh so soft shrug will be your favorite item for any cold day. However, you could opt for a lighter version choosing a different yarn and you could wear it in the garden on nippy evenings.
This tweed shrug has easy sophistication; A soft and good looking addition to any outfit.
Instead of a regular needles, use circular knitting needle size 9 (5.5 mm), 29 in long (73.5 cm) to accommodate the large number of sts. Work back and forth on circular needle as if working on straight needles.
- Knitting markers ( never buy these, just use diaper safety pins )
- 2 Skeins of Lion Brand Yarn 150-098F Fishermen’s Wool Yarn, Natural
- 100-Percent Pure Virgin Wool
- oh-so-soft feel, warm, naturally weatherproof
- This yarn is great for felting once it is machine washed and can also be dyed
- American-made bulky fiber makes quick work of large projects like beautiful afghans, shawls, fisherman sweaters, or throws.
- containing natural lanolin oil in a nature-inspired shades: Natural, Oatmeal, Brown Heather, Nature’s Brown, Oak Tweed (featured in picture) & Maple Tweed.
HOW TO GET THE SHRUG KNITTING PATTERN
To obtain this free knitting pattern, just sign up for our newsletter. Once you have clicked the link in the confirmation email, you will be automatically emailed an email with my exclusive art, craft and pattern resource library. You are free to use all patterns & tutorials available there.
IF YOU LIKE TO GET THIS PATTERN, then do this: use a gmail or domain name-based email account. Or said differently, sign up from a location without firewalls (i.e. not your office) and use an email provider that lets autoresponders through! In other words: NOT Hotmail, Yahoo or AOL email accounts. These email providers trash autoresponders and you will never get your email (and some of you will blame me for it, even though I SEND the pattern right away.
1. SIZING. It appears that this shrug fits a size 8/10 well. While the pattern is meant to be a one size fits all, it’s possibly more realistic to add more to width and length by picking up stitches.
For example, one reader has enlarged the pattern to 60 x 40” instead of the 44×35”. Note however, that with some wear, it will start to drape a bit more at the back without adding stitches. Alternatively, if your shrug does not come out the way as hoped, consider going down a needle size (8 US), if you are a loose knitter.
Tips for Shrug Knitting Pattern Variations
- Roam through your stash of remnant for random stripes.
- Add a crochet tie to partially close it whenever you want. You may even want to add some beads at the end of each tie.
- Use seed stitch instead of ribbing on edge.
Overall: this pattern is very easy to make & a fabulous look!
Other Patterns & Tutorials at Fine Craft Guild